(Korean Marinated Steak)
- 1 lb lean beef (thin slices-about 1/8 of inch and bite size)
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (for grill or pan use only)
- 1 medium Asian pear (sliced into thin strips)
- 1/2 cup green onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (crushed)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine or red wine
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Put all of the marinade ingredients into a large bowl. Mix well.
Add the thinly sliced meat into the marinade. Mix well and set aside about 15 min.
In a fry or Korean grill pan, add about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and bring to a high temperature.
Remove meat from marinade and add meat to pan. Cook meat for about one minute.
Add onion slices to the pan and continue to cook a few minutes more, until the outside of the meat turns light brown.
Serve hot with rice.
Korean grills are best for a small group, directly cooking on a table. A fry pan is best for a larger group or buffet.
This marinade can be used beef, pork, and chicken. If used with chicken or pork, add 1/2 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger to the marinade for additional flavor.
Consider adding other vegetables along with sliced onion, like 3 oz snow peas or 1 medium sliced green pepper.